By way of some background into the E1 Class; with the exception of the final six built in 1891 under the auspices of RJ Billinton with different boiler, dome and chimney known as E1s from new, the rest of the 80 strong class were originally introduced by William Stroudley from 1874 as the E Class. Essentially a larger goods version of the A1 Terrier 0-6-0t, using the same cylinders, motion and boilers as the D Class 0-4-2 passenger tanks. Later all the E Class were reclassified as E1s.
E85013 SR O2 Class 0-4-4T No. W24 “Calbourne” in lined SR Malachite, as she carried originally between June 1947 and c1949, The model captures Calbourne in her current Southern Railway malachite livery that she was outshopped in earlier this year.
As with the previous O2 releases from The Kernow Model Rail Centre the O2s come with discs, bufferbeam pipework, an etched fire irons pack and etched nameplates.
They’re a ‘must have’ for any Isle of Wight railway modeller. There are just 500 of these exclusive edition models, priced £159.95.
Bachmann Europe have continued their new policy of making quarterly product British Railways Announcements and whilst Covid-19 has stopped any physical showcase event taking place, Bachmann announced the new items in a video that can be seen here:
As usual I round up those items of a SR / BR(s) relevance below:
E85007 SR O2 Class 0-4-4T No. 182 in lined olive green and pull push fitted as she was between December 1934 (when the ‘E’ Prefix was removed) and gaining unlined black in 1941 she was allocated to Plymouth Friary during this period.
E85007 SR O2 Class 0-4-4T No. W35 “Newport” in lined SR Malachite, as she carried between May 1947 and c1949.
E85007 SR O2 Class 0-4-4T No. W31 “Chale” in lined BR Malachite with Sunshine lettering, as she carried between May 1948 and c1951
As with the previous O2 releases from The Kernow Model Rail Centre the O2s come with discs, bufferbeam pipework, an etched fire irons pack and in the case of the Isle of Wight versions etched nameplates.
Also new in the EFE range are PBA ‘Tiger’ bogie china clay wagons.
The much-anticipated ex LSWR / SR Diagram 1541 10T Road Van produced as an exclusive model by the Kernow Model Rail Centre have now arrived (appropriately via Southampton Docks) and are being despatched to customers and all pre-orders being fulfilled (but please expect this to take a few days). This is not a review for obvious reasons, but hopefully the photographs will speak for themselves.
First introduced by the London & South Western Railway (LSWR) in 1884 they were later classed as Southern Railway Diagram 1541. Almost 500 of these were built between then and 1905 making them the most numerous LSWR Goods Brake Van. Brake Vans with side doors through which parcels or other goods could be loaded were known as road vans.
The pictures show the high level of detail and multitude of separately fitted parts including: flush glazing, hand rails, brake gear with pull rodding, step boards and lamp irons to accurately portray a number of different versions of the prototype. These options include alternative buffer shanks with a ribbed option as fitted to some vans including those preserved on the Isle of Wight and Bluebell steam railways and either straight or cranked step board supports, the latter as fitted to the majority of those transferred in 1925 to the Isle of Wight.
Care and research has been undertaken with the various liveries to to ensure that the correct livery specifications have been met, especially for the LSWR / SR Good Brown. The application is crisp, as we would expect, and includes legible solebar cast number plates.
I hope that those whom have have had these models on pre-order for some time are pleased with the final model.
Model Rail Magazine in cooperation once again with Canadian manufacture Rapido Trains, (their previous collaboration the ex GER J70 is close to delivery) is to be producing the LBSCR Class E1 0-6-0T. Officially being announced with the publication date of the July issue No. 249 of their magazine on June 7th, however with subscriber copies now having been delivered the information is in the public domain.
With the exception of the final six built in 1891 under the auspices of RJ Billinton with different boiler, dome and chimney known as E1s from new, the rest of the 80 strong class were originally introduced by William Stroudley from 1874 as the E Class. Essentially a larger goods version of the A1 Terrier 0-6-0t, using the same cylinders, motion and boilers as the D Class 0-4-2 passenger tanks. Later all the E Class were reclassified as E1s.
Although most of the class worked on the Brighton section some were used In Southampton Docks, so ideal for Canute Road Quay, and on the Isle of Wight. Ten members of the class were converted between 1927 and 1929 to become E1/R Class 0-6-2t with new cabs, extended bunkers and the addition of a Radial axel for use in the West Country.
Although withdrawals started as early as 1913 many passed into British Railways ownership with the last surviving to 1960. Four members of the class ended up being sold into industrial colliery use, including the one preserved example B110 now located on the Isle of Wight steam railway.
The initial Model Rail Magazine versions to be available, during 2020, are as follows:
MR-401 97 – LBSCR Stroudley Improved Engine Green
MR-402 127 – LBSCR Stroudley Goods Green
MR-403 B96 – Marsh umber but with ‘B’ prefix as applied by SR
MR-404 2142 – SR black (pre-War)
MR-405 2606 – SR black, ‘sunshine’ lettering
MR-406 32151 – BR lined black, no emblem
MR-407 32113 – BR plain black, early emblem
MR-408 32689 – BR plain black, early emblem (weathered)