The latest books hot of the press from my good friends at the Irwell Press are firstly two new publications in the excellent hardback “Book of the” series to cover the Southen Railway Moguls. The two volumes cover the initially ex South Eastern and Chatham and later Southern Railway, Richard Maunsell designed and produced 2-6-0 Moguls, the N and N1 Classes in Part One and U and U1 classes in Part Two. The third is a paperback version the Southern Workhorses No.1 Q Class 0-6-0s. Number two in the series of Southern Workhorses, still to be published, will be the Bullied Q1 class.
These three publications all follow the usual brilliant Irwell Press “The Book of Series” with historical background information about each class, their design, liveries and spheres of operation, photographs along, with particular details and photographs of each individual locomotive taken from their works records. the books are of the usual high standard of detail, information and photograph reproduction that we have come to expect from the Irwell Press at a reasonable price of £29.95 for the Mogul hardback versions and £15.95 for the paper Q class publication. As they say available from all good bookstores, and probably some not so good ones too!
Book of the Southern Moguls Part Two N and N1 classes
Book of the Southern Moguls Part Two U and U1 classes
Southern Workhorses No. 1 Q Class 0-6-0s
As with all the Irwell Press‘The Book of the” series they are invaluable for Southern Railway historians and modellers alike and well worth a read.
Further information about my N1 model, converted from a Bachman N class, illustrated above can be read on my Talking Stock posts #12 here. My U Class model is built from a DJH kit, whilst the Q Class was built from a then Wills now South Eastern Finecast kit, sometime ago when I was in my early teens, and is now running on its third chassis but still makes the occasional appearance on Fisherton Sarum!
The Southern Maunsell N1 class, comprising of six engines, was a 3 cylinder version of the N class with the most notable differences being the straight running plate in front of the cylinders, the extended vertical face above the front buffer beam and shallower smoke deflectors.
The less obvious difference are the front cab windows where the N1 class has a single curved window on each side of the boiler whereas the N class has a smaller main curved window and a second small circular window above the firebox on each side. Also what I think are lubrication oil reservoirs are located on each side of the running plate just behind the smoke deflectors. The cylinders and motion are also different. The outside cylinders on the N1 are slightly smaller along with much smaller valve chests resulting in sloping slides when compared to the vertical sides on the N class. Also the motion bracket is supported off the frames on the N1 class and not the cylinder block as per the N class.
One of the reasons that I contemplated this conversion was the fact that I had some spare N1 etchings, which were surplus to requirements from a DJH N class kit I built a while back. These etchings included Buffer beam / running plate front and smoke deflectors. These items could however be made from scratch using brass / plastic and adapting the N class smoke deflectors.
I reshaped the cylinder block using a file and Milliput New motion brackets were made from scrap brass flat suitably bent and soldered then glued with epoxy resin to the front edge of the plastic cylinder block bracket
I modified the buffer beams and running plate using a mix of brass sheet and the DJH etchings, brass sprung buffers , cast white metal steam heat and vacuum pipes, lamp irons (my usual cut down Bambi staples) and small grab handles were fitted to the buffer beam.
The characteristic tall front steps of the N1 class were made up from the spare brass DJH N1 step etchings that I had in stock. However these could easily be made from brass sheet or plasticard. I also had spare etched N1 smoke deflectors courtesy of DJH but in fact the Bachmann N class deflectors could simply be cut down to the correct size.
I removed the cab glazing then carefully filed flush the front moulded window surround of all the cab windows. The two circular holes were then filled with Milliput and the front face cleaned off level with the cab front, DJH window frames then completed the look.
A more detailed step by step guide to this conversion appeared in the August 2004 issue of Railway Modeller and an online version can be read on the SeMG website here.
The model railway world and mainly Southern Railway meanderings of Graham 'Muz' Muspratt