Dave Ellis of Nucast has kindly advised me that their New L.B. Billinton LBSC/SR/BR(s) K Class 2-6-0 kit is now available to order. First introduced in 1913 the eventual 17 members of the class were the first 2-6-0 locomotives on the LBSC and the first with a Belpair firebox. They were generally seen as one of the most successful LBSC locomotive designs.
Nucast have fully upgraded the old Keyser (‘K’s) kit with a new etched nickel silver chassis for both loco and tender. The chassis can be sprung using the High Level Kits system (parts not included). Both loco and tender chassis now include brakes and pull rods. The loco now has the very distinctive Slide-bars and Motion Bracket rather than square section N/S rod and some very basic castings for the brackets. The test build (as per picture) depicts a typical example of 2nd series as built and running through to circa 1930.
They have also added a number of new castings to the kit which will allow you to build both batches of the loco and covers all periods from as built to their final days on BR in 1962. These include :-
- The original Brighton Cab and the SR ‘SECR style’ cab used when they were modified to suit the composite loading gauge by the Southern.
- Cab details, back-head, regulator, cab splashers (“seats”), floor and reverser.
- Boiler fittings include the original Brighton Top Feed and the manhole cover for the first series, and a second dome (similar to the C2x’s) for the 2nd series to attach the top feed too. Vacuum Ejector Pipe.
- The reduced height Chimney and Dome for the SR composite loading gauge Along with SR boiler mounted Clack-valves.
- Choice of Ramsbottom Safety Valve or the later Ross pop changes.
The chassis includes spacers for 00, EM and P4. We have only built the 00 version and the clearances are very tight behind the crossheads. So EM and P4 modellers will have to use some ingenuity to build the chassis as is often the case in EM – P4.
The etch also includes Brighton and SR/BR style lamp irons.
The Tender etch includes the original open style coal rails and the later plated SR style and cab doors which can be modelled closed or open.
The Brighton K is now in stock priced at £135.00 plus postage. Wheel packs and Motor/Gearbox packs to suit are also available. To order contact Nucast on 01342 822270.
It has been a long time since the old K’s kit had been available, see my Talking Stock #22 The Missing Mogul – the K class post here so it is great to see this new upgraded kit become available that is sure to be popular.