Model Rail Magazine have announced via their August 2019 issue, No. 263, that they have commissioned Danish manufacturer Heljan to produce the Class 12, 350hp diesel 0-6-0 shunters along the with the War Department, LMS / GWR Class 11 versions. Twenty six of the shunters, with English Electric 350hp engines, that became Class 12 were ordered by the Southern Railway before nationalisation but were first built at Ashford in 1949 and the order completed by 1952.
The Model Rail Class 12 version will include Bulleid-Firth Brown style wheels and the additional lamp irons / marker lights, however due to tooling limitations it may mean it will not be possible to include some of the smaller detail differences between the Class 11 and Class 12. All models will include a NEXT 18 DCC decoder socket, working head and tail lights, a stay alive capacitor and a factory fitted ‘sugar-cube’ speaker.
The Class 11s being produced first are not expected until Q1 2022 with 15 liveries available and the Class 12s the following year Q1 2023 with 5 versions available, all livery versions are limited to 300 pieces.
- MR-501: WD green, 70271
- MR-502: Longmoor Military Railway blue, 878 Basra
- MR-503: LMS pre-war black, 7120
- MR-504: LMS post-war black, 7128
- MR-505: BR black, British Railways lettering, 12043
- MR-506: WR green, British Railways lettering, 15106
- MR-507: BR black, early emblem, 12049
- MR-508: BR black, early emblem (weathered), 12075
- MR-509: BR plain green, late crest, 12105
- MR-510: BR green, wasp stripes, 12100
- MR-511: BR green, wasp stripes, 15105
- MR-512: BR blue, D12062
- MR-513: BR blue (weathered), 12052
- MR-514: ICI grey/orange, Joule
- MR-515: NCB orange, 12099
Class 12 (with larger 4ft 6in diameter “Bulleid-Firth Brown” type wheels)
- MR-601: BR black, 15223
- MR-602: BR black, early emblem, 15235
- MR-603: BR green, wasp stripes, 15224
- MR-604: BR green, wasp stripes (weathered), 15221
- MR-605: BR blue, 15212
They will be eventually available to pre-ordered via the Model Rail webiste http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/ in due course.