Rails Limited in partnership with Dapol and the National Railway Museum announced at this weekends London Festival of Railway Modelling that they will produce the LBSC Terrier and all its subsequent variants in OO Gauge.
With all the experience Dapol has gained from making the award winning O Gauge version of the A1 / A1X Terrier it is fully anticipated that this project will progress very quickly. Decorated samples are expected to be available Autumn 2018.
Initially six livery versions will be available in DCC ready, DCC and DCC Sound fitted:
- A1X No. 32655 in BR lined black with early crest
- A1 No. 82 Boxhill in LBSC Stroudley improved engine green.
- A1 Bodiam in KESR Blue
- A1X No. 751 in SECR lined green
- A1X No. 2644 in Southern post 1931 lines Olive Green
- A1X No. 32661 in BR lined black with late crest
The tooling will allow eventually for most variations of the A1, A1X and IOW variants of the locomotive to be produced, including two cab/bunker types, two smokebox/boilers. Wooden and metal brake rigging where appropriate.
The announced specification includes:
- Diecast chassis and running plate
- Detailed plastic moulded body
- Many separately fitted parts
- Diecast wheels with sprung centre driving wheels to give compensation providing all wheel electrical pick up and better traction
- DCC and sound Ready with easy access through a removable body which exposes a NEXT-18 socket
- DCC and DCC Sound Fitted variants using Dapol’s own sound recording of 32678 on the Kent and East Sussex Railway
- Powerful 5 pole skew wound motor
- Factory sound fitted locomotives will feature RealDrive braking control
Pricing has been announced as being £110.00 each (DCC Ready), DCC Fitted Versions £140 / DCC Sound Versions £239 with pre ordering being recommended and secured with a £30 deposit.
These models will superceed the now much long in the tooth and slightly hybrid Dapol / Hornby Model. Full details can be found on the Rails website here
13 thoughts on “New 00 ex LBSC A1 / A1x Terrier announced by Rails of Sheffield”
Thank you for this welcome news.
Orders placed! 🙂
I was wondering when someone would get around to the Terriers I shall of course be ordering a breeding pair. Thanks Graham for the heads up
At that price, I shall build my own.
Let me know how you get on after obtaining the kit, wheels and motor, I’m afraid the costs of everything have increased these days.
Reblogged this on sed30's Blog and commented:
More info on the Terrier
Given that the Dapol 7mm scale Terrier has been criticised for the shade of Improved Engine Green, I wonder if Dapol might be persuaded to make a better attempt for the 4mm scale version.
In that we have waited sixty years for a R T R 00 Terrier, the only ones previously available being almost unbuildable cast/brass kits, lets not get too churlish about the shade Improved Engine Green.
We are all lucky that any manufacturer produces anything for a shrinking market like model railways.
Lets enjoy the hobby while its still here.