Rapido Trains UK have announced today that they are producing two new ‘OO’ gauge South Eastern & Chatham Railway wagons, the Diagram 1426 van and the Dia. 1744 ballast wagon. These vans were introduced in 1918 and they lasted well into BR days, setting the standard for future Southern Railway vans. They shared the same 9ft 6in wheelbase with the five and seven plank open wagons that Rapido Trains UK announced in May last year.
The Diagram 1426 covered van sports the following features: Two types of rain strip: curved and straight, separately-fitted end ventilators, split-spoked wheels running in metal bearings and highly detailed body and under frame.
There are eleven Diagram 1426 covered vans being produced:
- 927001: No. 15782, SECR grey
- 927002: No. 16737, SECR grey
- 927003: No. 45784, SR brown (Pre 1936)
- 927004: No. 47162, SR brown (Pre 1936)
- 927005: No. 45779, SR brown (Post 1936)
- 927006: No. 47159, SR brown (Post 1936)
- 927007: No. S45819, BR grey
- 927008: No. S47144, BR grey
- 927009: No. DS47182, Departmental black
- 927010: No. DS776, Departmental brown
- 927011: No. 15750, SECR grey (preserved)
The SECR used the same underframe for the two-plank ballast wagon. It introduced the first in 1919 and 120 were built over the next four years. Incredibly, BR didn’t withdraw the last until 1971. The Diagram 1744 two plank ballast wagons feature: Two floor versions: curve-ended planks and straight-ended planks, split-spoked wheels running in metal bearings and highly detailed bodies and underframes.
There are eleven Diagram 1744 vans being produced:
- 928001: No. 567, SECR grey (preserved)
- 928002: No. 11835, SECR grey
- 928003: No. 1789, SECR grey
- 928004: No. 62454, SR red oxide (Pre 1936)
- 928005: No. 62398, SR red oxide (Pre 1936)
- 928006: No. 62371, SR red oxide (Post 1936)
- 928007: No. 62466, SR red oxide (Post 1936)
- 928008: No. 62444, BR Departmental
- 928009: No. DS62402, BR Departmental black
- 928010: No. S62433, SR red oxide with BR(S) number
- 928011: No. S62388, BR Departmental black
These wagons are available from either Rapido Trains UK direct or discounted at official retailers such as Kernow Model Rail Centre here.
‘E1’ – it’s on!
Rapido Trains UK have also confirmed that they are going to produce the ‘OO’ gauge LBSCR ‘E1’ 0-6-0T, that was first mooted by Model Rail magazine. They have not yet confirmed what running numbers or liveries they are going to produce, although I am advised it will cover as number of variations throughout their lifetime and geographical working area, but I will post the details as soon as further progress is advised.
5 thoughts on “Rapido Trains UK announce South Eastern & Chatham Railway wagons, the Diagram 1426 van and the Dia. 1744 ballast wagon and that the LBSC E1 0-6-0t is go!”
Excellent announcements, thanks for the information Graham. Orders incoming via Kernow in due course!
Thanks Graham. Were the BR liveried vans likely to have still being used in the late 50s .
Yes it is known that 35 of these vans were still in standard goods stock service in January 1961! Some of the departmental ones lasted well into the 70s.