Hornby have today announced their forthcoming range for 2023 as being a year of catch up, so not a huge amount to report for SR / BR(s) modellers (or anyone really…unless you are a collector of Gresley pacifics).
Hornby’s new tooling for 2023 is not SR / BR(s) orientated and includes the LNER streamlined 4-6-0 B17/5 locomotive, no new coach tooling and the following wagons: GWR Macaw B / BR Bogie Bolster C, BR TTA tank wagon and LMS/ BR Salmon/YMO bogie wagon. The LNER A1/A3 and prototype DELTIC are added to the Hornby Dublo diecast range.
The 100th anniversary of Grouping occurring at the start of this January is marked by the limited edition, (500 each model) “Big Four Centenary Collection” of one loco representing each of the big four, but being due in October…
With no new tooling of any kind for Southern modelers we see only the following two steam locomotive livery releases:
- R30273 SR N15 ‘King Arthur Class’ 4-6-0 741 ‘Joyous Gard’ – Limited Edition – Big Four Centenary Collection – in Maunsell olive green livery as she was between June 1925 when named and January 1928 when fitted with smoke deflectors – Era 3 – Due Oct 2023
- R3860 BR Merchant Navy Class 4-6-2 35012 ‘United States Lines’ – in malachite green with wedge shaped cab, Gills Sans BR numerals as carried between March 1949 and January 1951 – Era 4 – Due Oct 2023
- R30176TXS Railroad Plus GB Railfreight Class 73 Bo-Bo 73109 ‘Battle of Britain’ – Sound fitted – Era 10 – Due Nov 2023
And for Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway modellers as it was jointly run by the SR and LSWR before it and I am not just trying to fill the page honest:
- R30285 S&DJR Blue Class 4F 0-6-0 No. 61 – Era 2 – Due Dec 2023
- R30286 S&DJR Blue Class 2P 4-4-0 No. 46 – Era 2 – Due Dec 2023
- R30316 RailRoad S&DJR Blue, Class 3F ‘Jinty’, 0-6-0, No. 20 Blue – Era 2 – Due August 2023
- R30325 RailRoad S&DJR Black, Class 3F ‘Jinty’, 0-6-0, No. 25 – Era 2 – Due August 2023
Yep… that’s all folks… really no other SR/BR(s) model locos, coaches or wagons in the 2023 range!
In reality with quite a number of last years range and some still from 2021 to be delivered, along with the TT:120 investment that has taken place, it is perhaps not surprising that a more manageable scaled back, catch up, 2023 range has been announced.
However… there is a potential new ‘Generic’ Railroad 0-4-0t locomotive that might just have a passing resemblance to an Adams B4 (but stick with the Dapol version!) It should also be noted that the catalogue when it arrives may include some models that have not been included in today’s announcement and will not be available this year.